Monday, April 29, 2019

I Like Big Books and I Cannot Lie

I'm heading out on vacation with my family at the end of this week.  Several legs of plane travel, lots of sitting in beach chair time, not a whole lot of suitcase room.  Here is my dilemma: do I, at the risk of shoulder injury, pack one really big book in my carry on or, sacrifice suitcase space and have several books at the ready?  Kindle isn't an option because I don't want to read books on a screen.  I've tried it and I don't like it.  I don't like how I physically feel slightly dizzy when I use an e-reader.  The tactile experience of rubbing the corner of a page before I turn it is comforting.  A nice thought, but not for me at this point in my life.

I'm leaning toward the former.  I came home from the Bookery with a copy of Doris Kearns Goodwin's book Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln.  It's a huge book with SO MANY PAGES.  That sounds like a lovely beach read, don't you think?  I'll keep you posted.

No comments: