Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Used Bookstores

543233
I'm volunteering in a used bookstore once a week.  It's a small place with lots of stacks of unshelved books and my big ol' behind knocked over one of those stacks a while back while shopping.  Feeling horrible about adding to the mess, I felt like an appropriate penance was to come in once a week, unpaid, to shelve and organize books.  What I didn't know was that I would LOVE THIS SO MUCH!  Seriously, this might be the only job-type thing I have ever done that I have felt so good at.  Usually, when I have a job, I feel like a complete and utter loser.  I'm not very good at anything compensable, and, thus, felt like I was under the executioner's blade most every time I walked through the office door, no matter what office I was in.  

In the Bookery, however, all of those feelings have gone away.  It's the most confident I have ever felt in a work environment, even though it's not really my job and I am not getting paid and I really cannot get fired as I was never hired in the first place.  Nevertheless, it's awesome and I am extraordinarily happy to go every week.

As it is a small shop and people are Marie Kondo-ing the shit out of their bookshelves right now, we have more books than we have space.  Because of that, I am culling out books that are not being sought out by, well, anyone.  I take boxes of those books to a local community library to seed their collection and for their book sale.  They can get away with selling books for a quarter.  
As I was unloading a box one week, I decided that I was going to read some of those "unloved" books, hoping to find a hidden gem.  Kinds of Love by May Sarton is not that gem.  I am having such a very, very, VERY hard time getting into it and if you've read several posts back, giving up is not an option.  Sigh.  

No comments: